Winter Season/School Closing Information
Winter season upon us once again, we want you to have an understanding of the decision-making process to close or delay school. We fully understand that this impacts families greatly. We also understand that our students are better served – both academically and socially by being in school. But, as always, our top priority is student safety when the weather is inclement.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISION?
Please understand that we make the decision to open or close our schools in bad weather based on a careful analysis of many factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions from the sending towns.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
- Whether precipitation is continuing.
- Building and grounds conditions. We need to ensure that walkways and parking lots are safe.
- We also monitor power issues related to heat and electricity.
- Weather predictions. We prefer not make our decision based on weather predictions, which are not always accurate. But when something is expected to begin at 6:00 a.m., we are entirely dependent on TV meteorologists.
- Feedback from the sending district police departments regarding road conditions in their towns.
- Decisions made by sending district schools Berlin, Gibbsboro and Voorhees. We share information with other local districts and check whether they are opening or closing.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
As superintendent of schools, I am responsible for the final decision, based on the above factors as well as critical recommendations from our director of facilities through our BA (business administrator) and our transportation director.
HOW IS THE PUBLIC NOTIFIED?
You will receive an phone call, e-mail and text message from our school messaging system. Tune to local TV and radio stations (KYW News Radio, CBS Philly, 6 ABC, NBC 10, Fox 29) for up-to-date information on school closings.
Our school’s closing number is 578. Also check our district website (www.eccrsd.us) for information. Please do not call the school phone number to seek school closure or delay information.
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
We try very hard to make the decision to delay or cancel by 5:45 a.m. or earlier. Sometimes we will delay school if meteorologists are telling us a storm is ending at 6:00 a.m., only to cancel school later in the morning. We understand that some parents must leave for work early and that this is an inconvenience, but we have to do our best under very difficult conditions.
DELAYED OPENING SCHEDULE
Start time is 9:15 am – 2:15 pm
WILL WE CLOSE SCHOOL IF CONDITIONS WORSEN?
If conditions get worse as the school day progresses, we may need to have any early dismissal, but we will give adequate notice to all parents first. Although we all do our absolute best in this process, we know that often no perfect decision exists. If, based on current weather conditions, you do not feel as though it is safe for your child to attend school, use your best
judgement on whether he or she should attend. Also, discourage teenagers from driving in bad conditions and offer them alternatives if weather conditions worsen.
We hope that this explanation helps everyone understand the process we use to make the best possible decision for everyone in our district.